Monday, March 7, 2016

Module 5 Reflection


This module has helped me think about student centered assessment in the following ways:


Student centered assessment is a great way to got the students in the classroom involved. If you can give the children a purpose for doing something they are more likely to "buy into it" and get excited about what they are doing. This will allow them to be more hands on and involved with their learning. The e Reader had a great recommendation for students as they assess to: Ask three questions, make two comments, and provide one suggestion. When students are involved in assessment they start to feel control over their learning and see themselves as successful capable learners. It is imperative to get students involved in the process. I teach elementary technology and we have projects based off of materials they are learning in the classroom so though I have a rubric we tend to share our projects and not necessarily give "peer feedback". I think this is something I am going to work on involving the students more.

The e Reader does mention that effective assessment requires careful planning and implementation. I know that I put a lot of time into assessing projects that my students do and obviously with that comes lots of planning. I really thing my students especially the upper elementary would love to be able to have more involvement in "grading" their projects. I like the idea of peer sharing that was first mentioned in this section of the e Reader. I could easily use the rubrics, checklist etc that I have already created and involve my students with that process more. I would ideally like to work into them helping create the rubric at the beginning so they know from the start what is expected and they have a hand in deciding what all has to be included. The more involved the students are the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment